Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mt. Pinatubo : Conquered!

There are a couple of things I was surprised with during this expedition to Mt. Pinatubo. To begin with, three people cancelled the last minute, there was one who after confirming attendance I didn't hear from again until a couple of days prior to the trip, add to it a handful of last minute changes on the itinerary. But after all the hoopla we've managed to roll with the punches; and so there was 6 people left standing. Me, my brother, Emsie, Prince, Grace and Judy -- we braved our way to Mt. Pinatubo.

One of the best things about travelling is the change--Change in pace, change in routine, change in environment, and change in the outcome of your day. I immediately appreciated that change right from the start of the 4x4 ride. The 4x4 ride is about 45min-1 hour (long trail) that takes place in between mountains for the most part. There's a clearing where you can see huge rocks, streams of water and some stuff that seems to be lahar ruins. Things can get pretty dusty so an enclosed 4x4 would be great (we chose to ride the open one because we're feeling rock stars but after about 10min -- we understood why the enclosed one is recommended)   

Now here comes the hard part --- that much awaited trek to the crater lake. So after the 4x4 ride off we go to trek for 2 hours (for the record, I honestly thought the 2 hours is an exaggeration). The first 15-30 min is quite fun...you look left and right...you see different rock formations...take a picture of every single thing...leading the pack every now and then. After that though you start asking "how much longer, kuya?"..."malayo pa ba?"... till you reach the point where you say "when is this gonna end?" --- I tell you, this trek is hella HARD. I've finished my 2L of water halfway to the trek, good thing you get free mineral water straight from the mountains. 

The crater lake was beautiful, that's already a given. Although our guide told us that the best time to go there is really after the rainy season around August onwards so you can catch the blue green water of the lake. When we finally reached the crater lake I was much too tired to bother moving and doing anything else, some of them though still opted to go boating and our guide was nice enough to give us a discount. 

Here are some more tips for those planning to go to Pinatubo:
  • For god sakes take the SKY WAY (especially if you're not physically prepared for a long trek) I guarantee that despite the fact it's called the Sky Way, you'd still get a good share of the action and adventure. 
  •  Wear comfortable shoes!...and bring an alternative footwear. So you can change your shoes should you have blisters during the trek (I did!).
  • Bring LOTS and LOTS of WATER.
  • Bring a cap or a hat or apply some sort of conditioner in your hair so it's not super damaged at the end of the day.
  • Bring snacks like chips, crackers or sweets coz I'm sure you'll be hungry by the time you get to the crater lake --- buffet is served after the descend. 
To wrap it up, I've realized that there are some things I need to change in terms of the mechanics in confirming attendance, in planning, in research and in inviting people. I'm not much of a sociable person, in fact I have very few friends and travelling is not usually done with strangers; so this is a learning experience for me in so many ways. I'm thankful for the first batch for bearing with me and despite all the challenges prior and during the trip, I could honestly say I had fun--- but definitely not gonna go trekking for another year. Until the next Travel Urge!



All photos available here for tagging and download. 

No comments:

Post a Comment